The History of Fulton
Founded 1859, Incorporated 1872
The Chickasaw Indians were the first known inhabitants of what is now Western Kentucky and Northwestern Tennessee with the name, Pontotoc, which means the “Land of the Hanging Grapes.” In 1811, Andrew Jackson purchased thousands of acres that came to be known as the Jackson Purchase. The earliest records of Fulton were dated back to 1828, when Benjamin Franklin Carr acquired a land grant for 150 acres.
The first railroad deed was sold in 1857, and construction reached Pontotoc in 1859. At that time Fulton was referred to as the “end of the line” by the United States Government and all mail was addressed to this extent. In 1896, the Illinois Central Railroad owned the two railroad lines that crossed Fulton, which saw 30 passenger trains a day and 3,000 freight cars that picked up or delivered cargo. The freight cars would usually have bananas that would stop in Fulton to be re-iced and then shipped to rest of the country. Through this process, Fulton became know as the “Banana Capital of the World”.
The railroad is still an important part of Fulton moving two thousand cars a day. Today, the interstate system has become the greatest asset to the city. The interstate system has allowed the people of Fulton to diversify and come from all parts of the country to make their homes in Fulton.
Source: Chamber of Commerce of the Twin Cities
Commitment to Citizens
To help ensure the citizens of Fulton can be proud of their community and its leaders, the City of Fulton is committed to the following:
1. The City is committed to providing our residents the highest quality infrastructure and services affordable in a professional, equitable and fiscally responsible manner.
2. The City is committed to ensuring a safe, healthy and peaceful community in which our citizens may live and work.
3. The City is committed to planned economic growth and strategic future planning.
4. The City is committed to treating our residents, businesses and industries with respect and fairness.
City Manager form of government began January 1, 1962
Meetings were set at 1st Monday of the month at 7:30 p.m.
Later changed to 2nd and 4th Mondays at 7:30 p.m.
Time changed to 7:00 p.m.
Time changed to 5:00 p.m. in 1993
Time changed to 5:30 p.m. in 2004
First meeting in new City Hall – January 26, 1976
First Mayor and Commissioners under City Manger form of government 1962
Mayor Nelson Tripp
Commissioners Bill Rice
L. M. McBride ( resigned 3-26-62)
Nelson Tripp (replaced McBride)
City Attorney Rodney Miller
City Manager B. R. Baxter (resigned 8-1-62)
James Robey (hired 9-1-62)
City Treasurer Katherine Berryman
City Clerk Martha Smith